Saturday, September 25, 2010

Bushman Cave Paintings

Today Adam and I got to go see some ancient cave paintings of the Bushman people! We left early in the morning when it was cold and rainy out, drove 2.5 hours, and arrived in the Drakensberg Mountains. By the time we got there it was neither cold nor rainy so my hat, scarf, jacket, long sleeve shirt, and jeans were quite out of place!
We had to hike about 45 minutes to get to the start of the tour spot. We waited awhile for our guide and climbed a few trees and rocks in the mean time. Our guide came and we went up to look at the paintings. They were really incredible. I was surprised they looked as good as they did after so many years. Also the Bushmen were amazing artists. There was a lot of detail and everything looked so meticulously done.
After looking at the paintings we hiked down to a stream to eat lunch and splash around in. The scenery around us was absolutely breathtaking. The colors on the mountains and the way everything was shaped was amazing. I'm constantly in awe of God's creation here.
The whole day was really a good experience.


In the bus all bundled up!

Right before our hike

Hand holding candid ;)

Our group on the trail with the mountains looming in the background

The trees were really unique

Adam and I waiting for our guide

Kat and I after climbing a huge rock formation

Bushman Paintings (Double-click to get a closer up view)


The caves were filled with them


The bushmen painted themselves with large buttocks' because it is a characteristic unique to their people group

Can you see the dark coiled snake?

Adam and I by the stream

Eating lunch!

Chill-axing on the rocks

Beautiful!


One of my favorite pictures so far


Adam and I hiking back

Another one of my favs

I love the way they gently slope

Brittany and I about to get on the bus (she is hilarious! Adam and her get into it everyday)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © 2009 Jo & Adam 'n S. Africa All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Template by Anshul