Sunday, September 12, 2010

Sunday: Church & Waterfalls

Today might end up being my most favorite day in South Africa (of all time)! This morning we went to church, the church Reg (basically our program director) attends. It was on the more charismatic side of things, which I really enjoyed! At the end of service we all enjoyed tea and then met some of the young people that attended. Adam and I got to know Kristen and Gina, who we later went to the mall with.

After the mall and a delicious lunch I really wanted to go exploring. I couldn’t decide what to do when Aly came along and wanted to the do the exact same thing… so off into the wild bush we went. It was literally the most amazing spectacular thing I have ever experienced (well pretty much). We were basically bushwhacking our own trail trying to find this mystical 2nd Waterfall somewhere deep into the South African jungle. We hit a bunch of dead ends until we ran into Calvin and Zach, who were also searching for the waterfall. We decided the best way to get there would probably be to forge the stream. It was so fun stripping off our socks and shoes and wading up a creek in the middle of South Africa hoping we didn’t find any snakes, biting fish, or huge spiders along the way.

Thankfully after an hour and a half of trailblazing we were able to overcome the slippery rocks, thorny plants, rotting logs, and entangling vines and finally came to the legendary 2nd Waterfall. It was beautiful, but so was the entire journey. I kept thinking as I marveled at everything around me that I was so blessed to be here, and I would never be able to experience this hike anywhere else in the world, especially one surrounded with so much mystery and beauty. None of the pictures do it justice, I can assure you that.

After our amazing waterfall experience, my legs were completely cut up so I tended to them before a group of us drove 45 minutes to Durban, another larger city. We went with some of the people we had met at the morning church service. I really enjoy church services in South Africa I am finding. After the service we all went out for a “proper” burger, where Adam W. and I worked on our South Africa accents. At the end of the day I went on a once in a lifetime hike, make some amazing new friends, and experienced two church services in South Africa.



Allie my hiking buddy

The dense forest

Allie and Calvin

My walking stick and I

It was beautiful

Trekking up the stream

Really interesting flowers

Sunlight through the trees

The mini-waterfall

Stopping for a breather

The clearing by the falls

The 2nd Waterfall!!

Our explorer group: Zach, Calvin, Allie, and I
My torn up legs!


Video of the falls!
(sorry it's not very good)
 
Copyright © 2009 Jo & Adam 'n S. Africa All rights reserved. Powered by Blogger
Blogger Template by Anshul